Monday, March 19, 2012

M.D. vs. M.D.

The Mommy Doctor vs. the Medical Doctor

My daughter Seele and I just returned from her two month doctor's visit. A routine physical consisting of height, weight, head circumference, heartrate and reflex check ups. I declined all shots and when I say all, I mean ALL:

Hepatitis B
Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
Haemophilus influenzae type b
Pneumococcal conjugate
Inactiviated Poliovirus
Rotavirus

Temporary refusal to authorize these vaccines, as her parent, got me thinking... am I harming my daughter by declining a series of several vaccines given to babies for decades now?

My answer. No.

And, I write that with conviction. Be it, my Biochemistry background. Be it, my fear of adverse reactions to these vaccines. Be it, the ongoing list of potential side effects like fever, seizures and vomiting. As a first time mom, not only do I want to do things right but I want avoid any mishaps. So, what is considered right?

In my mommy handbook-in-progress, being right consists of the following:

*Staying well-informed with current vaccinations (To my surprise, schools may mandate certain immunizations but by law, you as a parent, can sign a waiver)
*Being stern and vocal with your child's pediatrician about any medical concerns (If he or she gives you bad vibes and by that, I mean disregards your questions with everything is okay, then take action and switch doctors)
*Keeping a balance of an anti-drugs mentality (I am an advocate of non-medicinal interventions unless it is a life threatening illness but mothers, keep in mind, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. From a scientific standpoint, bacterial cells are capable of mutating in which vaccines are designed to ward off these invading microorganisms. Protective entities called antibodies may not be able to fight the fight in the Bacteria Battle quickly enough. So be open to what the medical community has to offer which is something I have to work at too)

Stay educated. Stay strong. Stay open-minded. After all, peace of mind is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment